Arcade Builder [Beta] Arcade Builder [Beta]

Has a lot of promise. I'd recommend loading everything at once with a pre-loader. This game has a lot of promise, and I could happily waste hours playing a game like this, but a few things need to be addressed.

--The way items are placed could do with being tweaked. IWith each item taking up two squares, it's possible to place an item halfway into a way, as long as it's the bottom square that's encroaching, which seems a little bit weird given that the perspective on some of the machines (Change machine being a prime exmple).
--An option to rotate items would also be beneficial, particularly for people like me who have to have things absolutely perfect in terms of placement and orientation.
--I think the prices, particularly for the wall tools, are a little unbalanced when considering the starting size of the arcade building. You start out with very little space, which makes it difficult to complete the early missions in the tutorial and gain more space to complete the missions to finish the tutorial.
--Issues with the scrolling mechanism. Possible to scroll right and up by hovering at edge of applet, but not down or left.
--Minor bug occurs when attempting to dismantle an object before it's finished building, which makes the game crash on most occasions.
--Tutorial will loop back to the beginning and get stuck at "Let's build a change machine" if the arcade is accidentally closed during gameplay.

Seriously, I've given this four stars because it's a game I'd love to play when it's finished. I could, as I've said, happily lose hours of my life on a game like this, but it needs work. Keep it going!

aJamDonut responds:

Thanks Tig, I really appreciate your feedback and time - this is exactly why I've released a little bit early (since Im a one man band). I'll work on your notes and any others and let you know when I have a nice update for you to try. Thanks a lot dude.

Find The Path Find The Path

I like the premise of the game, and while I felt the controls were a little laggy, overall I enjoyed playing the 25 levels available here. I'm not sure whether I'll download this for my phone, but that's by the by.

However, there seems to be this growing trend of calling a set of levels a tutorial without any actual explanation, or just having nothing and hoping the user figures it out. In this case, it was relatively simple to figure out, but I felt that the total lack of any explanation whatsoever was a major low point on this game, and there was far too little content available without downloading the full game, essentially making this an advertisement, and as such, I don't feel I can give any more than two stars.

If I do choose to download the android version, I may give a more positive review on Google Play, but I won't be doing so here.

Pandemic II Pandemic II

I honestly found, even in realistic, that the game seems programmed to be impossible. A virus has appeared in India that causes coughing and no other symptoms? Better declare a curfew, shut down public transport, waste funding on a vaccine for this almost entirely harmless disease, and close shipyards and airports worldwide!"

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game, and have managed to beat it once or twice, but it has some real massive faults.

Lots of people find this review helpful!

Halloween Block Matcher Halloween Block Matcher

Old concept, but good concept, and makes for some very enjoyable games.

This game is well programmed, and largely well animated, but I don't feel that I can give this more than a 2.5 for some key reasons.

No new elements seem to be introduced over levels. Certain blocks that have to be cleared, or a time limit to clear a certain amount, or something else to add a new layer of challenge to the game beyond the increasing target score is vital to keep a game like this fresh and playable past a few levels. This game lacked that, and as such I found it to become boring very, very quickly.

The score guide at the bottom of the screen was something I've not seen before, and I thought that was a very nice touch.

The main thing that struck me, however, was that, with the beautifully done block clear/fall animation, you didn't include an animation for the blocks moving sideways. I found that rather jarring, and it really caught me off-guard. It also went a long way to ruining the professionally made feel of the game, which is a big no-no as far as i'm concerned.

Additionally, while seasonal games doubtlessly have a certain charm to them, I find them a little irritating, as I know that past Hallowe'en this game will just be another block-matching game with an irrelevant theme. As such, I apologise, but i've taken off half a star for that as well.

To summarise: The game was well-made, and in spite of the cardinal sins committed, I enjoyed playing it, but its extended playability was limited and I know that with the evident skill you've displayed, you could have done better.

Balloon Party Poppers Balloon Party Poppers

This is an interesting and unusual game based on a rather nice concept. While I felt the game was good overall, with very smooth linear increases in difficulty over levels, and well-paced introduction of interesting new elements to keep things fresh. While I felt that the lack of control over the balloons added another level of strategy to the game, I also found that this could lead to certain levels becoming tedious, as there is no way to instigate a collision any faster than will naturally happen.

I didn't find the game infinitely enjoyable, and I don't think it could ever be my go-to boredom buster, as it doesn't have that addictive quality to it. Despite the variety of elements being introduced, it becomes repetitious rather easily, and that is the main factor taking away from a five out of five.

In summary, an interesting and well-designed game, with a couple of minor flaws. Four stars, and certainly worth playing.

You Do The Math You Do The Math

Okay, i'm torn voting on this game.
It seems rather well programmed, and a good premise, if potentially a little dull. However my main problem is this:
You have completely neglected to take into account those of us who are trying to play this game on a laptop. I myself am one of these people, and i'm sure a fair number of other users on this site are the same. On this note, a great number of laptops lack a numeric keypad. While I am aware some laptops do offer a numeric keypad of sorts, as the secondary function of a segment of the keyboard, these are often oddly laid out and extremely awkward to use, particularly if they are not commonly used by the laptop's user.
Unfortunately, this game only accepts numeric keypad input, rather than input from both the numeric keypad and the numbers that run along the top of the standard keyboard, which greatly limits the accessibility of this game, and unfortunately greatly detracted from the interesting premise, quick, smooth gameplay, and stellar programming that you have put into this game.

MattiGroot responds:

Thanks for your great review!
I immediately added the other numeric keys.
Really appreciate it!

Greetings,

Matti.

The Word Pyramid The Word Pyramid

I love this game. It's relatively original (if not particularly), and I actually found it extremely enjoyable to play. I'd intended to play a couple of rounds before rating, but I was hooked pretty much straight away.

However, I do have one slight problem with it, which is what has cost your game that final half star. I just can't agree with the scoring system. I like the scoring based on letters, and the bonus for finding all the words is rather lovely, and a nice way to reward a player for going to that much effort. However, I simply can't agree with the lack of a bonus, for solving the 9-letter word straight away. I managed this once or twice, and it felt, to me, like quite an achievement. However, your scoring system did not take this possibility into account, and as such, it seems to penalise the player for this achievement.

In short, almost entirely a top-notch game: not overly original, but very fun, with only minor flaws.

infectious 2 infectious 2

The game seems to work a lot better than the original upload, but there is still a fatal programming error, in that you still cannot exit the shop once you've accessed it.
The opening (cutscene, theme song?) simply shows a blue gradient, and still offers nothing by way of explanation, and adds nothing to the game.
I notice there is a level of instruction in the author's comments, which is an improvement on yesterday's upload of this, but still there is no explanation of how to earn points, or what the end aim of this game actually is, and as such, i'm once again, voting for a blam.

Infectious Infectious

I don't doubt the nobility of your intentions in creating this game, although I must point out the fatal flaw that, if you're trying to raise awareness of a problem like malaria, a flash gaming website is probably not the best place to do it.

Moving on to the flash itself? My advice would be to work on your programming skills, and also, test before you upload.
The first problem I found is that there's no real indication of what you're actually supposed to do. I read the instructions, which only really explained what the game was intended to achieve. I figured out the controls relatively quickly, and spent some time whizzing around stage 1, trying to figure out what exactly I was supposed to be doing, and found that there seemed to be very little in answer to that question.
I presume there is meant to be a cutscene, or some form of explanation, prior to playing the game, and hence the existence of the skip button. However, I gave this ample time to reveal itself, and was met only with a blank screen. As such, I pressed the skip button (which, mercifully, worked) and proceeded to attempt to figure the game out for myself.
Following the aforementioned whizzing around stage one, and figuring nothing out, I decided to have a look at the shop, and see if anything there would help me make sense of this game. The answer to this? An absolute, categorical no. The upgrades themselves aren't explained, and I am now writing this review still viewing the shop because the "Back" button, to exit the shop and return to the game does not work.

All in all, I would reiterate my appreciation of the nobility of your intentions, but this is a poorly programmed game, and was evidently not tested before upload. My only disappointment is that there's no way to guarantee this is blammed, although I don't doubt it will be.

urbanking responds:

thanks bro need to be up for my assignment and then i will update it just having problem transferring things over.

Classic Tic-Tac-Toe Classic Tic-Tac-Toe

I'll give this one star for the art, because it looks lovely, and I love the style. However, I have some problems with it that absolutely cripple the game for me.

Now, i'm a sucker for simple little boredom-busters like tic-tac-toe games. I generally give them quite good ratings; taking into account the fact that there's very rarely anything new or exciting about them, that's usually 3-4, depending on the quality of the AI, and the artistic style.

Looking at the "competitive AI" statement in the description, I had quite high hopes for this one. Unfortunately, this statement is nothing more than an outright lie. The AI is extremely simplistic and will play the exact same response to a certain state in every instance. I tested this out with the three-corners tactic, that ensures the starting player never loses. This is an easily counterable tactic, and while it is impossible to lose, the responding player can easily force a tie.

I'd expected this technique to ensure a win on easy, and sure enough, I played the exact same game several times in a row. Then, I decided to challenge myself, and test the AI on impossible. Disappointingly, I found that there was absolutely no difference in the responses the AI gave to my moves. I played literally the same game around 15 times in a row, regardless of the difficulty level.

Unfortunately, this cripples the game entirely for me, as when the AI simply sits there and lets the player win with such a simple and easily counterable tactic, with no discernible difference in difficulty between "Easy" and "Impossible," there is no challenge, no variation, and as such, no sustained interest in the game.